Getting Chummy off the shores of Beach Drive

Puget Sound chumming season is in full swing on this beautiful day.

Photo credit: Scupper

Are you ready for potential storm Wednesday?

We have some windy weather in the forecast starting Tuesday. It looks like the wind will be almost non-stop on Wednesday. Combine the forecast with the some high tides could mean that some of us along the water may flood.

We are currently getting our pumps out for the first time this “season” to inspect them and prepare for potential flooding this week. Because we tend to have water come over the bulkhead during high tides and southwest winds, we’ll continue to have our pumps on standby.

When we anticipate high odds of flooding is when we publish a “barking dog” report here at Beach Drive Blog and shared on Facebook and Twitter. One of the main reasons for starting this blog many years ago was to try to share this information with neighbors. A barking dog report is like a friendly neighbor’s dog who barks to warn of impending danger – sometimes they’re right and sometimes not. ūüėČ

Here are the upcoming tides for Puget Sound:

High tides will be hitting us around 4:00 pm over the next few days.

Tomorrow, the winds will begin picking up and it looks like we’ll dodge flooding on Tuesday with the forecast from “Wind Alert” showing winds dying down before high tide.

However it looks like the wind may be howling most of the day on Wednesday.

Of course forecast often change and this is as good of reason as any to get prepared for this winter’s storm season…even if we don’t flood, we could experience a power outage with the wind and heavy rain expected during this pineapple express.

Stay safe, Neighbors!

Possible Toxic Sound by Harbor West Condos

Earlier today one of our readers gave us a heads up of a possible sewage leak by the Harbor West Condos. The beach at Cormorant Cove is closed.

If this is indeed a sewage leak from the Harbor West Condos…it wouldn’t be the first time.
 

John C. Stennis CVN-74 heading out

This morning our intrepid reporter, Scupper, caught a couple pics of the John C. Stennis heading out into the lingering smoky haze from the BC fires.

Recovering the plane off the shores of Beach Drive

UPDATES POSTED BELOW.

A water craft has approached the plane that landed on Puget Sound just off the shore of 6000 Beach Drive yesterday afternoon.


We’re assuming the plane will be towed when tides are a bit higher. We are just coming off this morning’s 6:00 am low tide of 1.45 and the next predicted high tide of 8.71 just before 3:00 pm this afternoon.

It’s truly amazing that nobody, including the two men on board the plane, was injured during this emergency landing.

Additional coverage can be found here:

West Seattle Blog
Westside Seattle

KOMO news

 

Update 2:14 pm:

Cranes have arrived to help hoist the small plane.

Update 2:21 pm

The plane has been lifted from Puget Sound.

Update 2:50 pm:
The plane is now resting on the deck of the crane.

Community Meeting about Lowman Beach Park seawall next Wednesday, May 31, 2017

NEWS RELEASE
Edward B. Murray, Mayor
Jes√ļs Aguirre, Superintendent

For Immediate Release: May 25, 2017
Contact: Karen O’Connor, 206-233-7929
karen.o’connor@seattle.gov

Community invited to Lowman Beach Park seawall meeting

Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR) invites the community to the Hall at Fauntleroy at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 31 to learn about the Lowman Beach Park seawall and provide input on design options. The Hall at Fauntleroy is located at 9131 California Ave. SW.

Lowman Beach Park is a neighborhood park on the water located just north of Lincoln Park at 7017 Beach Dr. SW. At this meeting, SPR will present the project background, analysis of the coastal processes (wind, waves, tides, sediment transport/littoral drift) and design options, as well as gather community input.

The Lowman Beach Park seawall is failing and needs to be removed or replaced. As visitors to the park have seen, the existing seawall is slowly falling over towards the water. It is SPR’s goal to remove the remaining seawall and continue the shoreline restoration work that began when the south half of the seawall failed in the mid-1990s.

We hired Environmental Science Associates (ESA) as a design consultant to undertake a feasibility study to look at options for removing the seawall, taking into consideration both the habitat benefits of the seawall removal and the coastal engineering ramifications of that seawall removal. Given the design constraints of the project, it is likely that the existing tennis court will remain in place.

For more information, please visit https://www.seattle.gov/parks/find/parks/lowman-beach-park. If you have questions about the project, or if you need an interpreter or accommodations please contact David Graves, SPR Strategic Advisor, at david.graves@seattle.gov or 206-684-7048.

Coastal Flood Advisory early tomorrow morning

From the National Weather Service:

Coastal Flood Advisory

COASTAL HAZARD MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
742 PM PST WED FEB 8 2017

WAZ001-503-504-506-507-509>511-558-559-091145-
/O.CON.KSEW.CF.Y.0002.170209T0900Z-170209T1700Z/
SAN JUAN COUNTY-WESTERN WHATCOM COUNTY-SOUTHWEST INTERIOR-
WESTERN SKAGIT COUNTY-EVERETT AND VICINITY-TACOMA AREA-
ADMIRALTY INLET AREA-HOOD CANAL AREA-SEATTLE AND VICINITY-
BREMERTON AND VICINITY-
742 PM PST WED FEB 8 2017

...COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST
THURSDAY...

* COASTAL FLOODING...THE COMBINATION OF HIGH ASTRONOMICAL TIDES
  AND RELATIVELY LOW PRESSURE COULD PRODUCE MINOR FLOODING ALONG
  THE SHORELINES AROUND THE TIME OF HIGH TIDE EARLY THURSDAY
  MORNING.

* SOME AFFECTED LOCATIONS...PUGET SOUND...HOOD CANAL...THE
  ADMIRALTY INLET AREA...AND THE NORTHERN INLAND WATERS INCLUDING
  THE SAN JUAN ISLANDS.

* TIMING...WITHIN AN HOUR OR TWO EITHER SIDE OF HIGH TIDES. HIGH
  TIDES WILL GENERALLY OCCUR BETWEEN 4 AM AND 6 AM.

* TIDE INFO...LOW PRESSURE SHOULD RESULT IN TIDAL ANOMALIES OF 1
  TO 1.5 FEET ABOVE THE PREDICTED TIDES.

* IMPACTS...MINOR FLOODING DUE TO TIDAL OVERFLOW. LOW LYING
  AREAS NEXT TO THE WATER COULD SEE MINOR FLOODING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY INDICATES THAT ONSHORE WINDS AND TIDES
WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE FLOODING OF LOW AREAS ALONG THE SHORE.


Our highest estimated tide, not factoring the coastal flooding is predicted 
to be 11.96 at 4:34 a.m. With the coast flooding, it's estimated we can add 
1 to 1.5 feet to the tides. 

Barking Dog Report: High Tides and Wind

This morning we’re waking up to raucous waves crashing on the bulkhead with spray flying over…and we’re still a couple hours from high tide (as I write this post). We think there’s pretty strong odds that we may flood…hence the “barking dog report” to warn our neighbors who might flood in these conditions too.

Here’s what we’re basing the report on.

Let’s start with the tides:

Add the Puget Sound Marine forecast with a Gale Warning in effect until 4:00 pm.

555 AM PST TUE DEC 20 2016    

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM PST THIS AFTERNOON    

TODAY  SW WIND 25 TO 35 KT. WIND WAVES 5 TO 7 FT. A CHANCE OF  SHOWERS.

Factor in a high tide of 12.18 at 10.08 this morning. Right now (7:30 am), we are at about 8 feet and we have water and spray splashing over.

 

 

 

NWS issues a Coastal Flood Advisory

The National Weather Service in Seattle has issued a coastal flooding advisory.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED A COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY…WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 11 AM PST THIS MORNING. *

COASTAL FLOODING…HIGH TIDES WILL BE ABOUT ONE FOOT BELOW WHAT NORMALLY CAUSES MINOR TIDAL OVERFLOW THIS MORNING. HOWEVER, A STRONG FRONTAL SYSTEM PASSING THROUGH THE AREA AROUND THE HIGH TIDE WILL PRODUCE WINDY CONDITIONS AND WAVES UP TO 5 FEET. THESE WAVES MAY OVERTOP SEAWALLS AROUND TODAYS MORNING HIGH TIDE.

* SOME AFFECTED LOCATIONS…SHORELINES OF PUGET SOUND…

* TIMING…TWO HOURS EITHER SIDE OF THIS MORNING`S HIGH TIDE THAT WILL OCCUR BETWEEN 8 AND 9 AM PST.

* TIDE INFO…HIGH TIDE FROM TACOMA NORTHWARD TO FRIDAY HARBOR IS AROUND 8 AM…. THE TIDES AT ALL LOCATIONS WILL BE ABOUT 1 FOOT BELOW WHERE MINOR TIDAL OVERFLOW NORMALLY OCCURS.

* IMPACTS…WAVES MAY OCCASIONALLY SEND SEA WATER OVER LOWER SEAWALLS AROUND THE HIGH TIDE THIS MORNING. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… A COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY INDICATES THAT ONSHORE WINDS AND TIDES WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE MINOR FLOODING OF LOW AREAS ALONG THE SHORE.

Puget Sound Marine forecast has a Gale Warning until 9:00 am this morning being reduced to a Gale Watch through Tuesday afternoon.

¬†TODAY ¬†S WIND 25 TO 35 KT EARLY…EASING TO 15 TO 25 KT BY AFTERNOON. ¬†WIND WAVES 4 TO 6 FT…SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. ¬†RAIN IN THE MORNING…THEN ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.

¬†TONIGHT ¬†SE WIND TO 10 KT…BECOMING S 15 TO 25 KT AFTER ¬†MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS…BUILDING TO 2 TO 4 FT AFTER ¬†MIDNIGHT. RAIN. ¬†

TUE ¬†SW WIND 20 TO 30 KT…RISING TO 25 TO 35 KT IN THE ¬†AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 4 TO 6 FT. SHOWERS IN THE MORNING…THEN ¬†SCATTERED SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.

We do have extremely high tides right now with a 12.49 estimated at 9:24 this morning. Tuesday’s high tide is 12.18 around 10:00 am.

Wind Alert shows the stronger winds tapering down following the high tide and shows winds picking up again this evening and the wee hours on Tuesday.

Bulkhead Bashing

a-shore-thingThe December 2016 issue of Seattle Magazine¬†has an article written by Maria Dolan on the effects of bulkheads on the environment. I’m not able to find a link to “A Shore Thing” at the time of posting this, or I’d be sharing it with you now. ūüôā ¬†If you’d like to read it now, it looks like you’ll have to pick up the December issue.

The photo is what first caught my eye since it features Beach Drive homes on bulkheads by Mee Kwa Mooks. This spot is not far from where the City has been talking about replacing the eroding seawall along Emma Schmitz Memorial Viewpoint. Our intrepid reporter, Scupper, wrote about the seawall almost three years ago…which has had band-aid repairs at most.

The article talks about how homeowners should consider removing their bulkheads. I would guess that for many of ¬†the homes along Beach Drive, this would not be a viable option, as most the homes don’t have enough land or are do not have a high enough bank to accommodate a shore.

It will be interesting to see what winds up happening to the deteriorating bulkhead along Emma Schmitz.