LIVE POST: Vessel Rescue from Puget Sound

UPDATE 3:43 PM by Scupper:



This was the scene within a few minutes following the capsized skiff. The two boats (capsized boat on left & small working boat on right) were heading north together off of Beach Drive SW and appeared to be handling the following seas relatively well. The pictured sailboat was sailing in a SE direction just off the 4800 block then abruptly reversed course and ran north to the scene. I assume they may have been alerted by a Mayday call given that a Coast Guard cutter was closing in fast from the west. You can make out the 3 survivors sitting on the hull.

At the time of the incident, the flooding tide was flowing against the 30+ knot gusts around Alki Pt. This along with the shallower waters can get pretty hairy.




Original post below.

The Coast Guard is currently rescuing a small aluminum boat that appears to have flipped over leaving the passengers to scramble on-top of the capsized hull of the boat for safety. It appears that the boat was traveling with another vessel. A second Coast Guard boat has arrived on the scene.

We watched two sailboats just moments ago wrestle the wind and waves. One sailboat looked to be having a terrible time, with ropes and portions of the sail into the sound. They finally dropped their sails and opted to motor away. The second sailboat seemed to navigate the sound a bit better, however, we noticed their sail had tears in it.

UPDATE 2:13 PM: The capsized boat has been left behind. There is a helicopter on the scene now too. ¬†We’re assuming the Coast Guard is trying to figure out how to safely remove the hull. Scupper speculates that the small boat must have been pooped by a following wave.

This is all unfolding south of Alki, about 400 – 500 yards off the shores of Beach Drive.

Nov 15 rescue
UPDATE 2:58 PM: Scupper is at the scene and has heard from a police officer that one person is missing from the boat.

The fire and rescue boat, Leschi, is now involved along with a police boat.

UPDATE 3:11 PM: A person has been retrieved from the Sound and is now in the helicopter.





UPDATE 3:22 PM: The hull is being hooked and it appears that it is attempting to be towed. We’re wondering if the second sailboat that turned back was possibly responding to a distress call?


Speak Your Mind